Infinera’s Intelligent Access, or iAccess, solution addresses the need for highly automated and scalable access networks. This intelligent packet-optical access solution is ideal in applications such as business Ethernet and small cell deployments.
A number of factors make these two applications especially suited to the iAccess solution: they both have increasing capacity requirements – from 100 megabits per second (Mb/s) to 1 gigabit per second (Gb/s), low latency is a key requirement and service level agreement (SLA) monitoring is often critical. Add to this the very nature of access networks, with numerous access nodes that need to be installed, configured and managed in a cost-efficient and simple manner. This makes scalability key in access networks.
iAccess is a highly scalable solution and is built on a number of elements of Infinera’s XTM Series product offering:
- The Intelligent WDM (wavelength-divisiton multiplexing) – Passive Optical Network, or iWDM-PON, solution, providing automatic and cost-efficient wavelength tuning, eliminating the need to configure each node individually.
- Enlighten™ software suite for multi-layer networks for point-and-click service provisioning with automated service turn-up
- Native Packet Optical 2.0 for Carrier Ethernet 2.0 (CE2.0) support and WDM transport
- Network Interface Devices (NID) – Gigabit Ethernet consumer premises equipment that is automatically configured and managed as a remote port of the network rather than a standalone device
- The DNA-M Portal for SLA visualization
iAccess provides a highly scalable access network due to the way the NIDs are auto-configured and managed. The small and handy NIDs can even be delivered by mail. When powered up, they are detected in the system and receive their planned configuration from the network.
Services are activated and the customer is ready to go. Everything is managed from the Digital Network Administrator for XTM Series (DNA-M) management system, with remote port functionality enabling a large number of NIDs to be managed as a single device.
Only one IP address is required, enabling efficient management and saving valuable IP addresses for other needs.