Optical transport systems with integrated packet functionality – packet-optical transport systems (P-OTS) – are a proven technology for transporting packet-based traffic while reducing the need for routing. In 2016, the P-OTS market represented about 20% of all optical spending, and this number is expected to increase to nearly 30% by 2020, according to IHS Markit.
Infinera’s packet-optical technology combines Layer 1 optical with Ethernet/multi-protocol label switching – transport profile (MPLS-TP) in the XTM Series and XTC Series for P-OTS applications in the metro. Optimized to meet the ever-increasing demand for Ethernet-based content with the lowest total cost of ownership (TCO), it combines the best of both the optical and Ethernet worlds, resulting in an optimal technology for metro applications like metro aggregation, video content/IPTV transport, Business Ethernet and mobile backhaul.
Infinera’s packet-optical technology includes key capabilities in areas like Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF) Carrier Ethernet 2.0 (CE 2.0)-certified services, MPLS-TP, Optical Transport Network (OTN) and Ethernet transport.
Infinera’s Packet-Optical Technology Provides an Optimized Transport Solution for Ethernet-based Services in a Wide Range of Application Areas
Infinera’s Packet-Optical Technology Key Values
- Transport-optimized. Infinera’s packet-optical architecture is optimized for efficient packet aggregation and switching, while enabling router offload/bypass.
- Service-agile. Infinera’s packet-optical technology offers rich support for packet and time-division multiplexing (TDM) services along with service-aware transport.
- With CE 2.0 and 100 gigabits per second (100G) CE 2.0 certification, MPLS-TP connection-oriented service transport, unique Internet Group Management Protocol Version 3 (IGMPv3) support in transport networks and a wide range of legacy TDM services supported, it is the ideal solution for delivering an ever-increasing variety of services.
- Programmable end-to-end. Infinera’s packet-optical technology is an end-to-end solution featuring flexible capacity management capabilities.
- It is designed to leverage the flexible and dynamic Layer 0/1/2/2.5 service provisioning that software-defined networking (SDN) control provides. Automated provisioning, automated bandwidth on demand and automatic restoration are some of the key values enabled by the Xceed Software Suite.
To learn more, read the Infinera’s Packet-Optical Technology application note.