By Mark Showalter
SDN Product Marketing, Sr. Director Corporate Marketing
Network planners across the globe are rethinking network architectures to accommodate the shift to software-defined networks (SDN). IHS Markit surveyed network operators worldwide and published the findings in their Carrier SDN Strategies Global Service Provider Survey in August 2016. One of the key takeaways is that 89% of global service providers are planning to deploy SDN by 2017. The survey found the key drivers of the move to SDN are service agility and automation. At Infinera, we hear echoes of these themes every day as we talk with customers deploying Intelligent Transport Networks.
There are several approaches to developing SDN solutions. One approach is to repackage proprietary network management software. Another approach gaining broad momentum is the use of open software as the foundation for these deployments. It is clear to us that network operators prefer open software solutions to control network elements from multiple suppliers to enable new services for business and consumers.
Want to learn more? Here are six ways to learn about the latest open SDN deployments and solutions:
- Watch the service provider keynotes from the OpenDaylight Summit 2016 this October to learn how OpenDaylight is enabling new, open, software-defined carrier services around the world today.
- Watch the SDN Commercial Deployments: Emerging Business Cases webinar with Michael Howard of IHS Markit to learn about current open SDN commercial deployments in carrier networks.
- Attend MEF16 in Baltimore to see proof of concept demonstrations of new, open SDN solutions, including the Infinera Xceed Software Suite.
- Follow the Optical Internetwork Forum’s 2016 SDN Interop Demonstration to see how Infinera is working with global carriers and equipment suppliers to define open standards for multi-layer, multi-vendor deployments.
- Check out the Infinera Xceed Software Suite, an open SDN solution based on OpenDaylight with revenue-ready applications.
- Contact us to arrange a conversation with one of our SDN experts and find out how Intelligent Transport Networks enable service agility and automation through our open SDN solution.
- Application Note: Unlocking SDN Business Value
- Research Report: ACG Research and the InfineraTransport SDN solution
- Video: Introducing the Xceed Software Suite
- Brochure: Infinera Xceed: Open, Purpose-built, Programmable