The DTN-X Family of terabit-class transport network platforms for long-haul terrestrial, subsea, metro and data center interconnect networks comprises the DTN-X XTC Series, XT Series and XTS Series. Powered by Infinera’s next-generation optical engine, the fourth-generation Infinite Capacity Engine (ICE4), the DTN-X Family is positioned to meet the needs of network operators seeking to offer new and innovative services with scalability, flexibility and programmability.
The DTN-X Family supports Infinera’s unique Instant Bandwidth technology, sliceable super-channels, in-flight wire-speed encryption and the Advanced Coherent Toolkit (ACT) for enhanced capacity-reach performance. Sized to fit varying application needs, the DTN-X Family is built to scale in multiple dimensions, simplifying network operations without compromising performance. With the DTN-X Family, service providers experience a flexible and extremely scalable platform that is easy to use, with plug-and-play automated turn-up, software-defined network (SDN)-enabled network intelligence and point-and-click service automation. The DTN-X Family provides a truly simple network and system architecture with high density and low power, enabling service providers to build Intelligent Transport Networks.
The DTN-X Family offers a number of common features, including:
- Large-scale photonic integrated circuits that ensure efficient wavelength-division multiplexing (WDM) and transport while reducing space and power needs so that other functions such as integrated switching can be enabled without performance compromise.
- A success-oriented business model for network expansion via Infinera Instant Bandwidth, which enables operators to rapidly deploy and activate bandwidth in 100 gigabits per second (100G) increments without having to deploy and install additional line cards in the system, thus allowing them to differentiate their services by shortening provisioning times, accelerating service delivery and reducing time to revenue.
- FlexCoherent® modulation that enables service providers to select from one of many modulation formats, including matrix-enhanced phase-shift keying (ME-PSK), 3 quadrature amplitude modulation (3QAM), 8QAM, 16QAM and quadrature phase-shift keying (QPSK), with fewer mouse clicks. It provides an efficient reach/bandwidth tradeoff with per-channel granularity.
- Sliceable photonics to allow service providers to tune and route any 100G wavelength within a super-channel, or N x 100G super-channels, in multiple separate directions, each with its own coherent modulation profile, efficiently aligning capacity to bandwidth demand.
- Advanced Coherent Toolkit featuring breakthrough technology innovations such as Nyquist subcarriers, soft-decision forward error correction (SD-FEC) gain sharing, high-gain SD-FEC and flexible channel spacing.
- Integration with Infinera FlexILS flexible grid, open optical line system to enhance the scalability, flexibility and programmability of Intelligent Transport Networks. FlexILS provides higher spectral efficiency with a flexible grid architecture, delivering efficient bandwidth management and flexibility with multi-layer switching. The modular FlexROADM (flexible reconfigurable optical add-drop multiplexer) can support flexible grid super-channels with single-channel granularity with full colorless, directionless, contentionless functionality. FlexILS is fully open and interoperable with Infinera and third-party terminals.
- Network-wide plug-and-play automation enabled by open application programming interfaces. Digital automation reduces operational expenditure by eliminating many of the labor-intensive, human error-prone steps of traditional implementation, including the hundreds of operational steps, patch fibers and site visits required for analog optical systems.
- Embedded network intelligence that reduces operating costs with Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS) technology for automatic topology discovery, inventory management and point-and-click end-to-end service provisioning.
- An open, standards-based SDN interface in the Infinera Xceed Software Suite, a portfolio of software solutions that make bandwidth more dynamic and flexible. Xceed combines an open SDN control platform with modular, commercially deployable applications that enable revenue-ready applications while improving network efficiency. Designed for unified SDN control across metro, long-haul and subsea networks, Xceed complements Infinera’s Digital Network Administrator network management software.
- Transparent Layer 1 in-flight wire-rate encryption that can be implemented per service or in bulk mode.