June 5, 2017
Sunnyvale, Calif., – June 5, 2017, 8:00 a.m. EDT – Infinera, a provider of Intelligent Transport Networks, announced the general availability of the new Infinera Cloud Xpress 2, providing data center interconnect (DCI) operators 100 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) services with unmatched scale, simplicity, security and efficiency. The Cloud Xpress 2 has already been deployed in major internet content provider (ICP) networks.
The Cloud Xpress 2 is the first platform deployed in live networks featuring the Infinera Infinite Capacity Engine (ICE4), powered by Infinera’s innovative FlexCoherent® Processor and fourth-generation photonic integrated circuit (PIC). The Cloud Xpress 2 is now generally available for a broad range of customers to benefit from its industry-leading capabilities:
- Simple, open, automated. Like all models in the Cloud Xpress Family, the Cloud Xpress 2 is designed for plug-and-play installation with simplified provisioning and support for data center automation using open software-defined networking (SDN) application programming interfaces (APIs), zero-touch provisioning (ZTP) and streaming telemetry.
- Plug-and-play capacity-reach. The Cloud Xpress 2 is based on ICE4, which incorporates Infinera’s unique PIC technology to deliver a 1.2 terabits per second (Tb/s) super-channel output. Also, offering extended reach without external amplification, the Cloud Xpress 2 delivers the highest plug-and-play capacity-reach of any compact DCI platform, simplifying system design, deployment and operations.
- High density and low power. With 1.2 Tb/s of line-side capacity in a single rack unit, and very high power-efficiency, the Cloud Xpress 2 is designed to fit easily into space and power-constrained data center environments.
- Instant Bandwidth. The Cloud Xpress 2 incorporates Infinera’s unique Instant Bandwidth technology, the industry’s only software defined capacity (SDC) solution, allowing customers to software-activate line-side bandwidth in 100 Gb/s increments as and when needed in minutes, aligning with their bandwidth demands.
- Built-in encryption support. The Cloud Xpress 2 supports built-in hardware-based data encryption employing advanced industry standards and enabling 100 percent encryption of data transmitted between data centers. Built-in encryption support is an increasingly critical requirement for many DCI operators.
The Cloud Xpress 2 builds on the success of the market-leading Cloud Xpress Family. According to industry analysts, from its introduction in 2014 through the end of 2016, Cloud Xpress revenue was more than double the rest of the compact purpose-built DCI market combined.
“Infinera raised the bar in the industry with the Cloud Xpress, beating its competition to the market with a platform purpose-built for DCI,” said Andrew Schmitt, Founder and Lead Analyst at Cignal AI. “The general availability of the Cloud Xpress 2 places Infinera in a leadership position to continue meeting the challenging technical, cost and high-volume requirements of cloud and content provider networks.”
“Infinera has taken optical transport to the next level, by integrating ICE4 technology into Intelligent Transport Network platforms,” said Stuart Elby, Senior Vice President of Cloud Network Strategy and Technology at Infinera. “Major ICPs are deploying the Cloud Xpress 2 for its extreme simplicity, multi-terabit scalability and efficiency. The early adoption of the Cloud Xpress 2 underscores our customers’ need for a purpose-built DCI solution to enable continued rapid growth in their hyperscale networks.”
The Infinera Cloud Xpress Family delivers cloud-optimized metro wavelength-division multiplexing (WDM) solutions to cloud service providers, ICPs, internet exchange (IX) service providers, enterprise network operators and other large-scale data center operators. The Cloud Xpress Family offers customers the choice of 10 GbE, 40 GbE and 100 GbE client interfaces to meet their specific requirements.
Tel. +1 (916) 595-8157
Tel: + 1 (408) 213-7150
Infinera (NASDAQ: INFN) provides Intelligent Transport Networks, enabling carriers, cloud operators, governments and enterprises to scale network bandwidth, accelerate service innovation and automate optical network operations. Infinera’s end-to-end packet-optical portfolio is designed for long-haul, subsea, data center interconnect and metro applications. Infinera’s unique large scale photonic integrated circuits enable innovative optical networking solutions for the most demanding networks. To learn more about Infinera visit www.infinera.com, follow us on Twitter @Infinera and read our latest blog posts at blog.infinera.com.
Infinera and the Infinera logo are registered trademarks of Infinera Corporation.
This press release contains forward-looking statements including, but not limited to the features and functionality of Infinera’s Cloud Xpress 2 product as well as the economic and operational benefits it may provide. These statements are not guarantees of results and should not be considered as an indication of future activity or future performance. Actual results may vary materially from these expectations as a result of various risks and uncertainties. Information about these risks and uncertainties, and other risks and uncertainties that affect Infinera’s business, is contained in the risk factors section and other sections of Infinera’s Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended April 1, 2017 as filed with the SEC on May 10, 2017, as well subsequent reports filed with or furnished to the SEC. These reports are available on Infinera’s website at www.infinera.com and the SEC’s website at www.sec.gov. Infinera assumes no obligation to, and does not currently intend to, update any such forward-looking statements.