By Jay Gill
Infinera Marketing Director
What do you do when you begin to suspect that you can’t trust your current network equipment supplier to put your interests first?
As network security concerns turn into national security headlines, trust in network equipment suppliers is getting more attention than ever, from major end-user customers all the way to the executive suites of the largest service providers.
Of course, trusting your suppliers means more than believing in the security of their products. It means knowing that they have the innovation DNA to continue delivering better network solutions with lower total cost of ownership. It means trusting suppliers to be on your side and to help you win.
Trust is fundamental to our recent momentum with Open ICE solutions, which bring the power of Infinera’s fourth-generation Infinite Capacity Engine (ICE4) technology to any existing network (Figure 1).
Trusting Open ICE for Leading Price-Performance over Any Network
ICE4 continues to gain industry recognition as a leader in performance and total cost of ownership (TCO). For examples, just take a look at these three recent testimonials:
- A leading internet content provider chose ICE4 for the MAREA subsea cable based on its record-breaking capacity-reach performance.
- Telia Carrier launched ICE4 for its superior TCO and agility enabled by the sliceable super-channel architecture and Instant Bandwidth.
- Industry analyst firm Cignal AI highlighted Infinera’s consistent leadership in delivering coherent optical technology at the lowest price per gigabit per second, and noted that Infinera’s vertically integrated model positions us for a continued long-term advantage.
Trusting Infinera to Make Open ICE Work
By its very nature, Open ICE raises trust concerns for network operators: how can they know that an Open ICE solution, involving two (or more) suppliers, will deliver the best-performing solution without introducing significant operational complexity and cost?
The answer to that question is found in Infinera’s comprehensive Open ICE solutions, spanning multiple elements:
- Open ICE Products: With fully flexible, sliceable, tunable Open ICE meshponders and line modules, complemented by a wide catalog of adaptation kits, we can insert Open ICE into virtually any existing network, old or new, fixed or flexible grid.
- Open ICE Management and Operations Toolkit: We have been operating networks over third-party line systems for years and have developed sophisticated tools and features for operating in an Open ICE environment, from planning and provisioning to monitoring and troubleshooting.
- Open ICE Services: Infinera services provide complete support for Open ICE deployments, from initial planning through ongoing service assurance. Our “Light and Validate” process ensures that an Open ICE solution will perform as expected over the operator’s existing network.
Infinera has also helped numerous service providers move from their older line systems, which may not have been ideally suited to operating in an open world, toward future-proof open line systems, such as Infinera’s FlexILS, that fully enable the benefits of open optical networking.
The ultimate proof that customers trust Open ICE for leading performance and reliable operations is the decision to deploy Open ICE in a live network. Open ICE has been successfully trialed by dozens of customers and is now deployed in multiple live production networks across North America, South America, Europe and Asia.
Trusting Open ICE to Deliver Better Service for End Customers
One of those Open ICE deployments provides a good illustration of why a network operator trusts Infinera and Open ICE to deliver better services for its customers.
A leading European provider of wholesale bandwidth services used Open ICE to create an innovative new service to meet its wholesale carrier customer’s requirements. The operator designed a terabit-scale private network connecting more than 10 sites in multiple countries. Since the sites spanned networks using optical line systems from multiple suppliers, the operator chose Infinera’s XT-3600 with Open ICE, sliceable super-channels and Instant Bandwidth for software defined capacity on demand. The resulting network solution (Figure 2) broke down the traditional obstacles of interconnecting disparate networks and delivered a seamless, uniform network with on-demand scalability and low total cost of ownership.
Trusting Open ICE to Limit Security Exposure
Open ICE is now getting strong interest from network operators who have deployed networks built by vendors with looming security concerns, particularly when the operators are hearing about these security concerns from their major customers who threaten to take business to a competitive provider.
To address those concerns, it may be impractical to completely rip out the existing network, at least in the short term. Open ICE provides a strong interim solution. With Open ICE transponders over the existing vendor’s optical line system, the existing vendor equipment is limited to the photonic path (Layer 0) and no longer has active data processing elements in the digital data path. For an added layer of security against fiber tapping or other potential security breaches, the Open ICE transponders can also be configured with 100 percent line-rate data encryption turned on. The result is an end-to-end transport solution that completely removes the existing optical vendor’s wavelength-division multiplexing (WDM) terminal systems from the digital data plane (Figure 3).
Open ICE is now trusted by network operators around the world to deliver industry-leading optical performance and low total cost of ownership across any network. Let us show you why you can trust Infinera and Open ICE to address your challenges and win in your market.
- White Paper: Open Optical Networks: Doing More with Less
- White Paper: Future-proof Open Line Systems for Cloud Scale Networks
- Blog: Turning up the Volume on Open Optical Networking