Top Three Vital Enterprise Applications
By Fady Masoud
Principal Product & Field Marketing
The enterprise shift to cloud is well underway and accelerating, driving the need for increased network bandwidth and performance to connect corporate offices to data centers and cloud application providers. As more applications and content move to the cloud, enterprises are relying heavily on the underlying networks to achieve greater productivity and reduce operating costs. As they migrate mission-critical applications to this new environment, enterprises are realizing how optical networks are becoming vital to their success. This blog highlights the top three enterprise applications designed to maintain healthy business operations and protect critical information while reviewing the underlying requirements for optical networks.
- Business Continuity/Disaster Recovery (BC/DR): BC/DR describes a set of applications built to minimize the impact of downtime on an enterprise’s operations in the aftermath of an emergency (natural disaster, terrorist attack, major disruption to the company’s network, etc.). These applications consist of backup plans to transfer data and control access and offload other activities to one or more enterprise sites, including alternate data centers. Recovery time varies based on numerous factors, ranging from the few seconds needed to automatically transfer control and reroute traffic from primary to secondary sites once a failure or disruption is detected, to several minutes. Intelligent Transport Networks play a vital role in BC/DR applications, providing the required bandwidth and alternative routes that meet stringent latency and capacity requirements in a very short period of time to minimize the impact on business operations. The successful deployment and operations of BC/DC applications is directly related to the performance of the optical network they rely on.
- Data Mirroring: Heavily used by enterprises that process millions of transactions daily (e.g. retail, finance, airlines, etc.), this application is used to instantaneously duplicate the same set of processes and transactions from a primary or master site (mainframe/data center) to a secondary volume or mirroring site. Keeping latency below a certain threshold is often a key factor to ensure proper deployment of this application; hence, a high-performance intelligent transport network with low latency and low jitter (a variation of latency) is a key building block in deploying any data mirroring application.
- Offsite/Off-hours Data Backup: This is a recurring operational procedure aimed to replicate or back up enterprise-critical data to a remote data center every day after hours. Typically, a large amount of data (terabits) is automatically duplicated at another remote site/data center overnight during a backup window that spans from 30 minutes to several hours. There are several methods of data backup designed to save and keep an accurate history of data changes such as full, incremental, differential, hybrid and many others. The high capacity, low latency and task automation enabled by intelligent transport networks make a significant positive impact on the time of execution, reducing the backup window from several hours to minutes and enabling the overall success of this application.
Enterprises are undergoing a major shift in how they conduct business, and as such optical networks have never been more vital to enterprise success than they are today. Infinera Intelligent Transport Networks are designed to power enterprise applications with high performance photonic technologies while reducing operating costs, protecting critical information, and paving the way for next-generation cloud applications.
For more information on Intelligent Transport Networks for enterprise applications, please contact us.
- Web page: Enterprise Networks
- White paper: The Top Three Reasons Enterprise Cloud Applications Need Intelligent Optical Networks
- White paper: Low Latency – How Low Can You Go?
- White paper: Data Center Interconnect for The Enterprise Hybrid Cloud