Committed to Sustainability
Sr. Director, Corporate Quality and Sustainability
Based on trends in our industry, sustainable development is expected now more than ever by both customers and investors. Infinera is committed to sustainability, and we have recently published our Sustainability Report for 2015, which provides an overview of our sustainability programs and activities.
In recent years, the focus on sustainability has increased dramatically. A growing number of Infinera’s customers, including all of Infinera’s major European customers, as well as major European investors, have adopted sustainability performance as an important criterion when evaluating suppliers and investments. Based on interviews I conducted with customers and investors in 2014 and 2015, each expressed a strong interest in forging a long-term relationship with us provided that we, as well as our vendors, continue to focus on legal compliance, business ethics, and social responsibility in our business practices.
Over the past nine months, I have had the opportunity to engage various departments to combine the best sustainability practices of Infinera with those from Transmode Systems, where before the acquisition, I was primarily responsible for quality and sustainability since 2011. I had two major tasks, which have since been completed: Promote Infinera’s support for the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC), and drive publication of Infinera’s Sustainability Report in 2015.
UNGC defines 10 principles covering human rights, labor, environment and anti-corruption. By supporting UNGC, Infinera has committed to align with these principles and to take action to support them in our industry.
Infinera’s Sustainability Report 2015
The Sustainability Report provides an overview of Infinera’s sustainability program and activities, including the long-term sustainability strategy for the company. The report identifies four key focus areas:
- Business Ethics: Infinera is committed to ensuring that there are well-defined and implemented ethical principles within the company as well as in the entire value chain, including suppliers and resellers
- Product Responsibility: Infinera is committed to sustainable development through the use of our products. Since the lifespan of our products in our customers’ networks can extend for many years, Infinera is committed to low power consumption and minimized usage of hazardous substances so as to significantly minimize the environmental impact of our products. As part of this focus, Infinera is committed to responsible sourcing.
- Environmental Responsibility: Infinera is committed to minimizing the environmental impact of our business operations through an ongoing focus on energy efficiency, waste reduction and resource conservation.
- Social Responsibility: Infinera is committed to providing working environments and facilities well-positioned for sustainable growth. Also part of this social responsibility is employee development and an emphasis on driving philanthropic efforts that benefit local communities and causes.
Our efforts don’t stop there. With the goal of enhancing our sustainability program, in the second half of 2016, we plan to:
- Strengthen Infinera’s monitoring of carbon emissions from our operations, consistent with Scope 3 of the Greenhouse Gas Protocol.
- Interact with key stakeholders, including customers, suppliers, employees, communities and investors, to obtain feedback on our sustainability strategy, identify potential additional areas of focus important to key stakeholders, and review priorities.
Infinera is committed to leveraging our role as a major telecommunication equipment supplier to drive responsible choices, new best practices and a sense of obligation to the world around us.
For more information, click here to read Infinera’s Sustainability Report 2015 or contact us.
- Web page: Corporate Social Responsibility