Mobile networks are developing into more diversified and complex architectures like cloud radio access networks (C-RAN) to support the evolution to advanced telecommunications standards like Long Term Evolution Advanced (LTE-Advanced) and eventually 5G. The underlying wavelength-division multiplexing (WDM) transport network must meet new requirements in areas such as frequency, phase and time-of-day synchronization, and characteristics like a small footprint and low power consumption are more important than ever.
Infinera offers solutions that help mobile operators evolve their mobile transport networks to address new requirements and to make sure the investments they make today are protected tomorrow. Infinera’s Mobile Fronthaul Solution provides multiple active and passive WDM options to support a wide range of C-RAN scenarios. Infinera’s packet-optical-based Mobile Backhaul Solution meets the demanding sync and latency performance requirements for today’s LTE-Advanced networks and beyond.
Both Infinera’s Mobile Fronthaul and Backhaul Solutions are built on Infinera’s 5G-ready mobile transport architecture. Key features of Infinera’s 5G-ready mobile transport network include:
- A WDM network that delivers Common Public Radio Interface (CPRI), Open Base Station Architecture Initiative (OBSAI) and Ethernet fronthaul services in a single solution, with software upgrades to support future 5G requirements – no need to rip and replace for 5G fulfillment
- The extension of both fronthaul and backhaul closer to the tower for optimized utilization of network capacity
- Open application programming interfaces (APIs) and software-defined network (SDN)-enabled mobile transport for increased network efficiency
- 5G mobile transport network sliceability
- Integration of vendor-agnostic radio access network (RAN) mobile fronthaul and backhaul in the same solution, with a unified network management system
Infinera offers mobile operators a 5G-ready mobile transport networking solution
Infinera’s Mobile Fronthaul Solution provides several options for active and passive WDM deployments. A wide range of fronthaul options is essential for mobile operators who need to address varied deployment scenarios and the challenges of radio access networks. For example, the Infinera flexponder option gives the flexibility to mount in controlled, non-controlled or outdoor environments, and offers key capabilities in delay compensation along with industry-leading performance in synchronization and low latency.
The Mobile Backhaul Solution is based on Infinera’s packet-optical technology and offers a toolbox of synchronization capabilities that fulfills strict requirements in frequency, phase and time-of-day synchronization. Furthermore, the solution provides a range of packet-optical access and aggregation devices to support various backhaul deployment scenarios.
Managing Infinera’s mobile transport networks is made easy with the Infinera Digital Network Administrator (DNA) multi-layer management system. A unified management system for both fronthaul and backhaul applications brings many advantages, such as service assurance and service provisioning in a single system. With support for open APIs, Infinera’s mobile transport solutions offer SDN programmability via the Xceed Software Suite.