Government networks, from federal to local, provide mission-critical operations across all areas of public and community service, from national defense and security through research and education. Reliability, flexibility, and resiliency are essential for these networks to deliver the critical government and public services they underpin.
Government agencies large and small share many of the same network requirements. Tight budgets require IT solutions that lower total cost of ownership (TCO), for both equipment and operational costs. At the same time, these networks must provide simple and efficient scaling with minimal operational support as the network grows, and with minimal disruption to existing services. Security, network agility, accelerated service turn-up, and simplified operations are critical for mission success and enabling agencies to be responsive to shifting requirements and objectives.
Infinera provides cost-effective Intelligent Transport Networks that are simpler and quicker to turn up and manage, yet scalable enough to meet today’s and tomorrow’s multi-service requirements across campus, metro, cloud, and national long-haul applications.
The Infinera Unified End-End Transport Portfolio
Infinera has pioneered photonic integration technology, which is at the core of Infinera’s intelligent network platforms. Combining hundreds of optical functions on a single monolithically-manufactured photonic integrated circuit (PIC), Infinera’s “DWDM system on a chip” architecture significantly reduces network power, space, cooling, and fiber coupling requirements, while increasing reliability and density. When PICs are combined with software intelligence, automated control plane operations, and multi-layer software-defined networking (SDN) support, a converged and vertically integrated optical networking solution results that delivers the responsiveness and flexibility that government agencies require.
To meet today’s changing bandwidth demands, government network operators need optical transport network (OTN) platforms that simplify operations while accelerating new service turn-up, and all while lowering TCO. This kind of scalability can only be achieved with intelligent networks that automate manual operations and with revolutionary technology that fundamentally alters the TCO paradigm. Infinera’s Intelligent Transport Networking solutions achieve both of these goals without compromise by integrating best-in-class technology across all its platforms:
- Future-proof flexible-grid optical line system that supports up to 24 terabits per second (Tb/s) per fiber.
- Multi-layer optical, OTN and packet switching that enable bandwidth optimization at the most efficient layer and lowest cost.
- PICs that economically deliver up to 5 x 100G waves on a single PIC pair, eliminating more than 600 discrete optical components and 250 fiber connections. PICs bring Moore’s Law to transport and offer the only scalable solution for the Terabit Era.
- Standards-based Open Transport Switch (OTS) that enables multi-layer network optimization with standards-based SDN controllers.
- Generalized multi-protocol label switching (GMPLS) control plane that fully automates inventory collection, topology discovery, and end-to-end service provisioning across the entire network. GMPLS also enables shared mesh protection with sub-50 millisecond switching for higher reliability at lower cost.
- Integrated digital switching that provides sub-lambda grooming and lambda/super-lambda switching at every node in the network. Compared with all-optical switching systems, integrated digital bandwidth management virtually eliminates stranded bandwidth and enables rapid turn-up of any service at any node at any time.
- Packet switching modules that simplify edge aggregation and lower transport costs.
- A full suite of Carrier Ethernet 2.0-certified transport and aggregation modules, including customer-premises equipment for end-to-end commercial service and cell tower backhaul solutions.
- One-time network engineering that enables subsequent in-service bandwidth growth with no additional optical layer engineering. Automated, dynamic optical layer balancing continuously ensures optimal performance.
- Intelligent OTN transport networking that provides 4R performance at every node (reshape, regenerate, retime, and re-FEC [forward error correction]) as well as digital performance monitoring for rapid fault diagnosis and isolation.
- Comprehensive network management system that operates across all Infinera platforms for seamless end-to-end service provisioning and network monitoring.