Research & Education Networks
The research community are the classic innovators and early adopters of new technology. Infinera's Intelligent Transport Network is already deployed in a number of research networks around the world, including GÉANT operated by DANTE, BOREAS and Internet2. Our world-leading innovation coupled with the inherent scalability of the DTN platform means that we can offer a wealth of attractive features for the R&E environment.
The Infinera Solution
Research & Education Network operators will see a number of advantages from an Infinera solution:
- For these customers, the ability to roll out large amounts of transmission capacity is paramount. With 800Gb/s of totally flexible add/drop capacity per rack, Infinera offers one of the highest density and most scalable optical networking solution available today. Using Infinera DLMs, our customers can add capacity quickly and easily in 100Gb/s increments.
- We are a leader in innovation. Our Photonic Integrated Circuits are an order of magnitude more dense than traditional, discrete components, and we are continuing to add functionality and performance to our PICs.
- R&E Network operators are moving quickly towards an all-Ethernet model. Infinera has one of the most comprehensive feature sets in Ethernet over DWDM, including completely transparent support for 10GE LAN PHY over a single 10Gb/s wavelength.
- Infinera demonstrated a proof of concept for 100GbE in 2006, and we believe that our 100Gb/s PIC technology is well positioned for future 100GE deployment.
- In an Intelligent Transport Network services are decoupled from the backbone infrastructure, which means that a research or education provider need not worry about the ability of the infrastructure to support high speed services today, or in the future.
- Infinera has one of the most sophisticated and comprehensive GMPLS implementations in the industry. Coupled with the intelligence we derive from our OTN implementation and the digital nature of our architecture we call this Embedded Software Intelligence. For a research organization our open approach to standards and industry leading functionality opens up a wide range of network research opportunities. These include research into new provisioning mechanisms, as well as investigation of IP/optical integration using the Optical UNI.