Research & Education Networks
The research community are the classic innovators and early adopters of new technology. Infinera's Intelligent Transport Network is already deployed in a number of research networks around the world, including GÉANT operated by DANTE, BOREAS and Internet2. Our world-leading innovation coupled with the inherent scalability of the DTN platform means that we can offer a wealth of attractive features for the R&E environment.
The Infinera Solution
Research & Education Network operators will see a number of advantages from an Infinera solution:
- For these customers, the ability to roll out large amounts of transmission capacity is paramount. With 5Tb/s of totally flexible add/drop capacity per rack upgradeable to 12Tb/s, Infinera offers one of the highest density and most scalable optical networking solution available today. Using Infinera Line Modules with Instant Bandwidth™, our customers can add capacity quickly and easily in 100Gb/s increments.
- Infinera is a leader in innovation. The Infinera Photonic Integrated Circuits are an order of magnitude more dense than traditional, discrete components, with continued innovation to add functionality and performance.
- R&E Network operators are moving quickly towards an all-Ethernet model. Infinera has one of the most comprehensive feature sets in Ethernet over DWDM, including completely transparent support for 10GbE and 100GbE.
- In the Infinera Intelligent Transport Network services are decoupled from the backbone infrastructure, which means that a research or education provider need not worry about the ability of the infrastructure to support high speed services today, or in the future.
- Infinera has one of the most sophisticated and comprehensive GMPLS implementations in the industry. Coupled with the intelligence derived from the OTN implementation, and the digital nature of our architecture and the open approach to standards along with industry leading functionality, the Infinera R&E solution opens up a wide range of network research opportunities.