Why Customers like Infinera
Andrew Schmitt of Infonetics research shares results of customer survey
Optimizing Multi-Layer Networks
with Transport SDN
Improve operations and economics of multi-layer backbones and optimize performance of packet networks with SDN
The Evolution of
Next-Gen Optical Networks
Meet emerging capacity requirements and improve operational efficiency with terabit super-channels and flexible grid ROADM
Whether you're feeding the DOCSIS 3.0 bandwidth curve, expanding your residential and business services footprint or reducing network cost through head-end consolidation, Infinera can help. With solutions that include Cloud Xpress, Bandwidth Virtualization and SDN automation, infinera's solutions simplify your network operations, enable faster service turn up, and provide cable operators a decisive competitive edge from day one onwards.
Cable operators are competing head-on for market share against traditional service providers. Cable operators were the first to run multiple services over their network infrastructure - first with "double play" video and broadband, then "triple play" adding fixed line voice to the mix. Today MSOs are continuing to drive service growth by offering mobile voice and data services to deliver what is generally called the "quad play". And finally, cable operators have created a multi-billion dollar commercial services business focused on delivering voice, video, and data services to enterprises.
With the rapid addition and growth of these services, cable transport networks are seeing dramatic bandwidth growth. As broadband speeds exceed 100 Mb/s with widespread DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem deployments and as HDTV and Video on Demand services continue to grow rapidly, optical transport bandwidth requirements are growing at a compounded annual rate of 50-100%. As a result, cable operators must constantly deploy new Gigabit Ethernet and 10GbE circuits to keep ahead of demand, and there seems to be no plateau in sight as the industry migrates to 40G and 100G transport speeds.
To meet these growing bandwidth demands, operators need optical transport platforms that simplify operations while accelerating new service turn-up-and all while lowering total cost of ownership (TCO). This kind of scalability can only be achieved with intelligent networks that automate manual operations and with revolutionary technology that fundamentally alters the TCO paradigm. Infinera’s Intelligent Transport Networking solutions achieve both of these goals without compromise by integrating best-in-class technology across all its platforms:
- Photonic Integrated Circuits that economically deliver up to 5 x 100G waves on a single pair of PICs that eliminate more than 600 discrete optical components and 400 fiber connections. PICs reduce power and space requirements while increasing reliability. PICs offer the only scalable solution for the terabit era.
- GMPLS control plane that fully automates inventory collection, topology discovery, and end-to-end service provisioning across the entire network. GMPLS also enables shared mesh protection for higher reliability at lower cost.
- Integrated digital switching that provides sub-lambda grooming and lambda / super-lambda switching at every node in the network. Compared with all-optical switching systems, integrated digital bandwidth management virtually eliminates stranded bandwidth in the network and enables rapid, service-agnostic turn-up of any service at any node at any time.
- One-time network engineering that enables subsequent in-service bandwidth growth with no additional optical layer engineering. Automated, dynamic optical layer balancing continuously ensures optimal performance.
- Intelligent Transport Networking that provides 4R performance at every node (reshape, regenerate, retime, and re-FEC) as well as digital performance monitoring for rapid fault diagnosis and isolation.
- Comprehensive network management system that operates across all Infinera platforms for seamless end-end service provisioning and network monitoring.
Infinera provides scalable CATV transport systems that provide seamless connectivity from the metro edge all the way through the national backbone.
- White Paper: Super-Channels: DWDM Transmission at 100Gb/s and Beyond
- Case Study: Using Layer 1 Multicast over DWDM with Counter-Propagating Wavelengths from Two National Master Headends
- Article: Photonic Integration: Enabling the Terabit Era
- Article: RS-DVR: Moving the DVR into the cable cloud
- Brochure: Infinera DTN™ Switched WDM
- Brochure: Infinera DTN-X™